Any questions about booking a course or shopping online? Contact us:   07399 383106

Studio Stories – Taxus Cuspidata from Korea (Part Three)

Sometimes I work on nursery trees, sometimes I work on client’s trees……and sometimes if I’ve been a really good boy I get to work on my own trees. Hopefully these regular visits will give you an insight into what goes on behind closed doors……….

Studio Stories – Taxus Cuspidata from Korea (Part Three)

Parts one and two of this blog were posted on the 1st and 22nd of May 2014 under Studio Stories. The last post finished with the tree’s appearance in Newstead 3 in September 2008.

April 09 001 April 09 002 July 09 001

The first two pictures show the tree starting into growth in April 2009. The third picture above and the first one below show the tree in July 2009 continuing to grow well.

July 09 002 sept  2009 001 sept  2009 002

The last two pictures above and the three below show the tree in September 2009.

sept  2009 003 sept  2009 004 sept  2009 005

One year since his show appearance and having been left to grow and recover he is now given a pruning to shape with some thinning out and removal of branch extensions.

April and May 2010 001 April and May 2010 002 April and May 2010 003

The first picture above shows the tree at the beginning of April 2010 just coming into growth. By the end of May this growth has really accelerated and you can see the results in the second two pictures.

April and May 2010 004 Nov 2010 Taxus 001 Nov 2010 Taxus 002

The first picture above shows this new growth in the process of being cut back. The last two pictures above and the three below show the tree in October of the same year.

Nov 2010 Taxus 004 Nov 2010 Taxus 005 Nov 2010 Taxus 006

This time I really got into the tree again with some severe pruning to open up spaces and identify foliage clouds. The outline of the whole tree is greatly reduced. With no wire on board the tree is not in bad shape.

With no show appearances to focus on the tree has basically been allowed to grow normally with some routine maintenance and shaping work. For the next two years the tree was to some degree left to grow freely with just routine watering and feeding. Moving the nursery and having a heart attack generally stopped me from giving my trees the close attention they normally enjoy. I think most of them loved it…..water, food, sun, and shelter but no scissors or cutters……at last a chance to stretch out and reach for the sky……but all good things must come to an end and for this tree it started in 2013………Part Four!